TELEPHONE HOTLINE UPDATE
- Emerson Tool Co. (ETC) is providing $100 to owners of Craftsman® 8-inch, 8¼-inch, 9-inch, and 10-inch Radial Arm Saws. Sears sold the 8-inch, 9-inch, and 10-inch saws from 1958 through 1992. The 8¼-inch saws were sold from 1990 through 1995. 12 inch saws are not eligible for this recall.
- These saws were
sold without a guard that covers the entire blade. Some consumers have
contacted the blade or have been hit by wood kicked back by the saws,
resulting in amputations, fractures and lacerations.
- The owner MUST return BOTH the Radial Arm Saw Carriage and Motor Assembly to Emerson to receive the $100 rebate.
Emerson, provides the box and pays for shipping.
- If you are outside of North American States – please call toll-free (800) 511-2628 and a Customer Service Representative will assist you.
- Return of the Motor and Carriage Assembly is intended to and will permanently disable your saw so that it can never be used again.
- ALL returns are FINAL.
- Enter your model number in the “RAS Model Search” link,
or call toll-free (800) 511-2628.
- ETC believes that its radial arm saws have always represented the state-of-the-art at the time they were manufactured and distributed. Prior to 1992, ETC's radial arm saws included active guarding devices such as the nose-blade guard and the anti-kickback pawls. If you choose not to participate in this recall remedy and persist in using the saw, it is crucial that you follow all operating instructions and warnings. If you do not have a copy of the owners’ manual for your saw, please click here MANUALS. If you cannot find the manual for your model saw, please call the Customer Service Hotline at 1-800-511-2628.
See Press Release below and Removal section.
IS YOUR RADIAL ARM SAW
saw - Is your radial arm saw a Craftsman®?
||If so, check
your model number.
here to enter your model number and order your box.
CPSC, Emerson Tool Co. Announce Recall of Craftsman® Radial Arm Saws Sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 14, 2000
Emerson Recall Hotline: (800) 511-2628
CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
Revised February 19, 2014
Release # 01-031
Note: Remedy has changed.
Emerson Tool Co. Announce Recall of Craftsman® Radial Arm Saws Sold
by Sears, Roebuck and Co.
D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
(CPSC), Emerson Tool Co., of St. Louis, Mo., is recalling about 3.7 million
Craftsman® radial arm saws. These radial arm saws were sold
without a guard that covers the entire blade. Consumers have come into
contact with the blade or have been hit by pieces of wood kicked back
by the saws, resulting in severe injuries.
CPSC and Emerson
have received about 300 reports of injuries while using these saws. Injuries
include hand and finger amputations; lacerated hands, arms and fingers;
fractured hands and fingers; and facial injuries.
Emerson will provide $100 for the return of the saw carriage of recalled radial arm saws. Consumers must contact Emerson to arrange for a return of their saw carriage at no charge to the consumer. Consumers should have the model and serial numbers of their saw available when they call the toll-free number or visit the website.
The recalled Craftsman®
8-, 8¼-, 9- and 10-inch radial arm saws have a model number beginning
with 113, usually located on the base of the saw. The brand name "Craftsman®"
and store name "Sears" are written on the saws.
Sears stores and
catalogs sold the 8-, 9- and 10-inch saws from 1958 through 1992. The
8¼-inch saws were sold from 1990 through 1995. The saws sold for between
$100 and $700, depending on the model, year purchased and accessories.
For more information,
call Emerson at (800) 511-2628 anytime, or visit the firm's web site at
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com. For a limited time, a limited number of retrofit kits will remain for certain models and can be provided for consumers who have saws that are in otherwise good working order. Call the Customer Service Hotline number for questions about the kits.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC's work to help ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals – contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury go online to www.SaferProducts.gov
or call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054 for the hearing impaired. Consumers can obtain news release and recall information at www.cpsc.gov
, on Twitter @USCPSC
or by subscribing to CPSC's free e-mail newsletters